Yes, unfortunately even indoors there is a small chance that aphids will take root in your plants. Don't worry though, there's plenty of things you can do to get rid of them!
What are aphids?
Aphids are little green bugs that suck the nutrients out of plants. They are typically only a few millimeters long, and have a rounded body with small antennae. Aphids multiply quickly, so you have to be quick to avoid them getting out of hand.
What can aphids do to my plants?
Aphids typically gather soft stems or under the leaves of plants which they eat. They are easy to identify from the mishapen or miscoloured leaves which they cause. In some of our products you may also see a sticky sap forming on around the plant - this is not good as it can attract other bugs.
How do I prevent aphids in the first place?
Its unlikely that you'll get aphids in your Urban Plant Growers products as they are indoor products. The main thing you could do to prevent them is to place your garden further away from the outdoors, and be careful with bringing dirt or other garden matter (such as those found in indoor plants) into your home.
How do I get rid of aphids
There are a range of methods to getting rid of them including:
- Washing with soapy water - simple but effective, just get a tub of soapy water, and dunk your plants in them. The aphids will fall off the plant, leaving your plant free to grow.
- Lady bug - more of an outdoor solution but it is a cool fun fact that Lady bugs eat aphdis!
- Spraying them off with water - simply get a spray bottle and shoot them off under high pressure
- Neem oils - for indoor plants you can use neem oils to repel aphids, be careful using Neem oil with and plant that you eat!
- Shake them off - do Tay Tay proud.
Hope this helps, good luck!