- Thoroughly mix in nutrients with water in a separate jug. We recommend the ratio of 1 spoon (provided with nutrient jar) to 1 Litre of water.
- Pour into the smart garden through the refill holes next to the light stand.
- Refill to the same ratio when the water runs out.
Other notable information on water/nutrient consumption by plants:
- Water consumption is affected by the size of plant, type of plant, temperature, humidity and airflow in the area.
- Increased water consumption by plants may lead to the concentration of the nutrient water solution to increase (as water is being used at a faster rate than nutrients, especially during hot periods).
- It is possible that when the nutrient solution get too concentrated, it will actually take water away from the plant (through osmosis)!
- Different plants have slightly different nutrient requirements - for example leafy greens generally need just half of the nutrients required by herb plants.
- When the nutrient solution is exposed to light, it will turn to algae (you may see this as a green colouring on your growth medium). To avoid this we recommend using a low nutrient concentration and slowly increasing it as the plant grows. Alternatively you can cover the growth medium with something to block out the light.